[TenTec] FS: Century 22 with matching Model 979 (5 amp) power supply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] FS: Century 22 with matching Model 979 (5 amp) power supply
From: Kevin Anderson <k9iua@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
I may regret this later, but I also feel it is time for someone
else to enjoy a fine rig such as this.  The somewhat rare
Century 22 is considered by many to be the pinnacle in
commercially manufactured direct conversion transceivers.  It is
a simple and fun radio to use.  Here's my offer:

For Sale, a Model 579 Century 22 (serial number 579 00075),
including the Model 226 crystal calibrator (but not the keyer),
original manual, and with matching 5 amp Model 979 power supply.
 Asking $350***, which includes UPS Brown shipping (as two
packages) within 48 States from zip code 52001.  Package
includes an unused PTO rebuild kit (a $20 value in itself,
purchased in 2001).  Payment by bank cashiers check or money
order; no PayPal.

(***$325 if a "local" purchase, defined below.  Will also
consider some possible trades; also see below.)

I purchased the radio and power supply used in 1996, and it
served as my main radio until 2000 (when I bought a Scout and
Argosy II).  Also briefly used the radio in 2002 and again now
in just the past few months in the QRP-L foxhunts on 80 meters.
Between uses it was kept boxed up.

The radio is 9 out 10 in condition:  A half-inch scratch on the
top of the radio, plus several pinhead-sized ones.  The front
panel has small cracks in each of the four courners, from the
screwheads to the corners, and the metal inset on main tuning
knob has two "dings".  All these were there when I bought the
radio in 1996.  The band change knob is a bit "scratchy," most
likely due to lack of use.  Otherwise the radio is internally in
excellent shape.  I've operated it only at QRP 5 watts, which is
below its rated output of 20 watts.  The PTO remains silky
smooth with no hint of needing a rebuild; the dial string still
tracks appropriately.  The knurled knobs are a little dusty.

The matching 979 power supply, originally designed for and sold
with this radio, includes all the original cabling (power and
ground) for the radio.  Several pinsized scratches, plus a
half-inch scratch on one side.  Only sold with the radio as a
package.

I will sell the package for less if sold locally, without having
to ship, which means you also get to visually see the radio
before purchase.  I consider "local" to be within a circle
around Dubuque, Iowa, extending as far as the Quad Cities,
Freeport, the west side of Madison, north maybe to Prairie du
Chien, over toward Waterloo, down to Cedar Rapids, including
Iowa City (where my son attends the university).  Cash would be
preferred for a local purchase, although not necessary.

I will also consider certain trades:  As a QRP-only operator, I
have the hankering to try out an Elecraft K1.  I would also
consider a used Scout (preferably an Argo Scout) with hopefully
a 30 meter module (which I don't have).  I also could use a
newer LDG Z11 or Z100 automatic antenna tuner (for a negotiable
amount, with the remainder of purchase still paid up as needed).

I hope this sale will allow someone the chance to own a piece of
Ten-Tec history in the form of a somewhat rare radio.  Reply
directly.  Thank you in advance.  Address good in QRZ.com.

Cheers/73,
Kevin Anderson, K9IUA
Dubuque, Iowa

--