Re: [TenTec] ANT Farms

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ANT Farms
From: "Lee Armitage" <LEE@GJ.NET>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:19:39 -0600
Ken,

For many years I was a Commercial Real Estate Broker licensed in five
Western states.

Here are some random thoughts.

1. Unless they are a licensed ham, NEVER be guided by a Realtor as they will
not know any more than any one else regarding ham radio and tower
requirements or restrictions. There would be no reason to expect a Realtor
to have knowledge in this area.

2. Go to the Planning Department in the County where you are considering
buying and ask, if any, what the requirements are for a ham radio tower.
They will usually be very helpful and tell you the complete truth.

3. Read very carefully any CC&R for the area or subdivision you are
considering. Please believe what you read as even though they may not be
enforced now, they may well be enforced in the future. As you know the
CC&R's are the local rules governing a subdivision and are very boring to
read, but please do read every word looking for antenna and/or height
restrictions for anything as they may be buried in some sub paragraph not
obvious to a casual reading.

4. If the County Planning Department and the CC&R's both look favorable for
what you want to do, you may be OK.

5. If a local ham club, ask who has towers similar to what you want to put
up and talk to those hams about any restrictions they know of.

6. If no local ham club, check with those on 2 meters or 440 on the local
repeaters and ask about any antenna restrictions anyone knows of.

7. Although not required, it can be useful to check with the near by
neighbors to the property to see what concerns they may have, especially if
your tower can fall on their property, even if it is open ground on their
property where the tower/antennas would fall. If a neighbor goes to the
County Planning Department or County Commissioner's and complains that they
feel in danger if your tower falls on their property, you may be in for a
real hassle from the County.

Usually, but not always, if your towers are up and new restrictions are
passed you will be "Grandfathered" in with no hassles.

Good luck and 73,
Lee Armitage N7FV
Western Colorado
970-234-8989