Re: [TenTec] OrionII & Heil Proset 5 audio problems

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OrionII & Heil Proset 5 audio problems
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:34:57 -0700
There is a factory "fix" for a known RFI issue in the Orion II headphones
circuit.  This usually shows up as RFI during transmit, but I suppose a
strong nearby AM broadcast signal could cause the same result even if you
don't have transmit RFI.  You can test this theory if you have a ferrite
loop that you can wrap the headphone wire around as close as possible to the
connector.

If that turns out to reduce or eliminate the problem, you can get a plug-in
board from the factory that filters the RFI out of the headphone circuit.
Installation requires removing the front panel, but needs no soldering,
cutting or any other 'surgery'.  Since the board lives inside the radio,
there are no dangling wires, boxes, filters, etc.

                     Ron  N6IE
                www.N6IE.com