Re: [TenTec] Orion and Ameritron ALS 600

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and Ameritron ALS 600
From: "Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 07:30:04 +0200
Vince,

I ran my OMNI VI+ with an ALS 600 for several years.
I initially had problems with arcing on the T/R relay of the amp, and had to
clean the contacts with a burnishing tool from time to time.

So I quit using the internal keyer in the Omni and connected up a home brew
device which had its own keyer, and a time sequencing circuit for keying the
amp before the transmitter was keyed.

When you hit the first dit, it immediately triggers the circuit to close the
relay on the amp (i.e., ALS 600) and then 10 mS later it passes the
beginning of the dit to the key jack of the TX (Omni VI).  This gives the
amp's relay ample time to switch and settle.  The sequencing device also has
an adjustable end of transmission delay which enables you to adjust how long
the amp's T/R relay stays keyed after the end of the last dit.

After that I was able to run trouble free for years.

With the Orion, you have the possibility to adjust these two timings
manually in the software menu.  Each is separately adjustable.

I don't think this was the cause of death for your amp's transistors,
though.  The ALS 600 has good protection circuitry and it looks like
something there failed.

When driving the ALS 600, you will probably never need more than about 80w
so I would recommend turning it down.

73
Rick