Re: [TenTec] Omni VI control codes

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI control codes
From: Jan Ditzian <ditzian@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 15:23:05 -0400
I thank those who found the basic code to address the Omni VI with
undocumented codes.  I probed further, and here is what I found:

Send this command to the Omni VI:

FEh  FEh  Receiver_Address_h  Sender_Address_h 06h Data_1_h Data_2_h FD

This means, send everything as hexadecimal data, in two-byte words.

Here are the codes as determined empirically from my Omni VI:

Data_1_h (hexadecimal commands)

00   LSB
01   USB
03   CW
04   FSK
05   FM

Data_2_h (hexadecimal commands)

02   2.4 KHz. filter
03   1.8 KHz. filter
04   0.5 KHz. filter
05   0.25 KHz. filter
06   toggle the filter in the narrow filter spot on or off

The other codes do not work.  Furthermore, the command must be
perfect--if you specify an incorrect (not listed) value for either
Data_1 or Data_2, the entire command will not work.  There may be other
values that I did not try that also work, but I doubt it.  I tried the
hex words 00-09 in both positions (I think).  The back of the Omni
manual has additional codes that vary the word that I specified as 06h.

The default receiver address is 04, and this can be set to something
else in the Omni with the user options menu.  The default sender address
is E0, and I have no idea how this might be changed, but it is the
address of the computer.

If you are using Logger32 (by K4CY), which can send commands to the
radio from a macro button on any of the digital modes, the command to
set the radio into LSB, with the 2.4 filter (get ready to operate a
digital mode in the most standard configuration for tuning around) would
look like this:

$hexcommand FE FE 04 E0 06 00 02 FD$

If you want a button that puts the .50 filter in place, but stays in
LSB, then program another button with:

$hexcommand FE FE 04 E0 06 00 04 FD$

If you operate in FSK mode, the command to put the Omni in FSK mode with
a 1.8 filter would be:

$hexcommand FE FE 04 E0 06 04 03 FD$

You could also program a button to set the radio up for USB/LSB or CW,
and even go to a specific frequency, with another button.  You will need
the other codes in the manual for the frequency.

I am getting into this because Logger32 provides a panel to control the
Omni VI, it is called "Sound Card Data," and it works even if you are
not operating a digital mode.  There may be other logging or rig control
programs that can be enhanced to better control the Omni VI with this
information.

73,

Jan, KX2A