Re: [TenTec] international

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] international
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:19:04 -0600
On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 08:04 -0400, Carter, K8VT wrote:
> Lee Armitage wrote:
> >  Steve,
> >
> >  Western Union is only OK for you to SEND money to someone that needs
> >  some immediate cash, not to complete a sale.
> >
> >  It is a favorite for scammers' and I would never sell anything and be
> >  paid by Western Union.
>
> Lee, why not accept WU as payment? I have done this a couple of times,
> once from a European country and once from an Asian country. I go down
> to my local WU agent (the corner drug store), they check my ID and then
> give me cash. Now I know I am assuming <grin>, but I would think WU
> would be pretty sure of the transaction before they dole out the cash.

WU is less traceable than most other transactions. So much so it seems
to be favored for some international scams. When a local ham tried to
use WU to pay for some ham gear from Australia, his bank blocked it and
canceled his credit card that he had used thinking it was a scam
payment. That makes it hard to send money for legitimate debts with WU
without having visited the bank ahead of time to authorize the payment.

73, Jerry, K0CQ