[TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 15:01:19 +0000
NQ5T:
 >I think waiting for some test reports and
real world experience might be a reasonable thing to do.

         Very true!  Below is the only data I've seen so far.
I would expect the K3 to be very comparable to Orion since
both use similar front-ends (~9 MHz down-conversion with
narrow roofing filters).  Time will tell...

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  For those making comparisons, remember the K3 + Sub-RX
has two high-performance receivers; Orion has only one.

http://mailman.qth.net/pipermail/elecraft/2007-April/066647.html

Bill, W5WVO wrote:

 > Have you yet published on this list or elsewhere any claimed RX bench
 > metrics like noise floor, DR3, IP3, etc.?

Not yet. We're still testing the beta units.

But just to give you a hint:  a couple of days ago Eric measured a
blocking dynamic range of 143 dB, and it remained 143 dB at 20 kHz, 5
kHz, and 2 kHz.

To put this into perspective, the K2, IC-7800, Orion II, and FTDX9000
all have a blocking dynamic range of -133 to -135.

We can't directly extrapolate to IMDDR3, but suffice to say it will be
excellent.

73,
Wayne
N6KR