Re: [TenTec] Orion V2.060b Comments

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion V2.060b Comments
From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 12:45:08 -0400
On 5/2/07, Grant Youngman <nq5t@tx.rr.com> wrote:
> >There have been some comments about raspy audio by numerous people, but that
> >didn't seem to
> be an issue that I could point my finger at.  An SX-115 sounded generally
> "smoother" on the same signals, but I can't say the Orions sounded bad,
> either.  Overall, it would be hard to complain.

The raspy audio is only there occasionally and I believe it is
dependent on your RF Gain/AF Gain and probably AGC settings.  Worst
case is with high values of RF/AF Gain.  Only some signals or
combinations of signals seem to set it off.  It sounds to me like
clipping of the signal (gain distribution, AGC, ???).  Some folks
probably won't even notice it, but some of us find it intolerable.

The v1 rx/tx audio always sounded VERY clean and that's just not my
experience with v2.  Mic input tx audio sounds good on v2, but I can't
get aux input tx audio to sound nearly as good as it was with v1.

73,
Barry N1EU