Re: [TenTec] When did Ten-tec switch to Schottky diode ring mixers?

To: George K3GP <k3gp@arrl.net>, Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] When did Ten-tec switch to Schottky diode ring mixers?
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:50:29 -0700
Is the behavior the same on the Cosair 1?

This is an interesting (if odd) result. Especially as it is an
important issue for comparing IMD DR and other numbers (which is what
I'm doing). Sherwood (et al) will turn off a preamp (fair enough) but
they won't turn on an attenuator (fair enough too, because it doesn't
affect the IMD DR just moves the useful range up in).

So when the control is "interestingly" (mis-)labeled like this one
then that would "mess up" their standard measurement setup.

<http://www.w8ji.com/receivers.htm>

73 Kevin
N7WIM

On May 21, 2007, at 4:17 AM, Steve Hunt wrote:

> Gerald,
>
> Not strictly true .... on my Corsair II the "attenuator" switch
> removes the pre-amp and "replaces" it with a 3dB pad :)
>
> Steve G3TXQ
>
>   Don't know about the Omni V and VI, but the "attenuator" switch
> on the
>   Corsair II actually removes the RF stage from the circuit. There
> is no
>   attenuator.
>
>   --
>   73, Jerry, K0CQ,
>   All content copyright Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, electrical engineer

N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell@pobox.com