[TenTec] CW Tuning Indicators for those with far less than absolutepitch

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] CW Tuning Indicators for those with far less than absolutepitch hearing!
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:41:48 -0700
I have a similar problem determining when I am on zero beat. I can press
the SPOT button on my Orion and tune back and forth for ever and it
seems my ear says "sounds good to me" regardless of how close I am. :)
So to get myself quickly on the real zero beat I have adopted two
different solutions.... one hardware, one software.

My hardware solution was the "Son of Zero Beat" kit by Jackson Harbor
Press. I now have two of these inexpensive but very flexible tuning
accessories... one on each station at my QTH. Two aspects of the SOZB
should be noted. First, it has 8 LEDs so it won't lend itself easily to
an add on mod within an existing piece of equipment. However the
additional LEDs are far more useful as you tune through a signal as you
easily know if you are to high or to low. The second aspect that I
really like is how easy it is to recalibrate it to a different sidetone
offset. No screwdrivers needed. Just hit your rig's sidetone and press a
button and its microprocessor (yes, it has a PIC processor) stores the
new offset. If you are like me I often change my offsets to minimize
listening fatigue.

My software solution is to use Spectran. This free software is a
powerful audio spectrum display and DSP filtering application all on its
own, but it can be easily configured for a minimum audio spectrum
display with a frequency scale across the top. I resize mine down to
about 3/4"x1" rectangle that will show me the audio range of about 300Hz
to about 1kHz. This visual display is incredibly easy to use. I just
tuck it on a not so used corner of the computer display. It is important
that you set its sensitivity to where the background noise is just
producing a lightening of the display's background... much like you do
when you properly setup a PSK waterfall.

Those are my suggestions.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT

--