Re: [TenTec] Cautionary Tale: Orion 13.8 V connector (long)

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Cautionary Tale: Orion 13.8 V connector (long)
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 18:53:18 -0400
> Solder and stranded wires has another problem. Industry has proven for
> any time a wire is flexed, a crimp connection lasts much longer than a
> soldered connection. That's because in the soldered connection, solder
> wicks into the stranded wire making it stiff out beyond the strain
> relief so there is where the flexed wire breaks.

Agreed.  On most crimped connectors, I solder only the very tip of the
stranded wire after crimping the barrel, provided there's solder access at
the tip of the connector.  Nearly all crimped lugs allow for this and even
APP types.  The trick is to use only enough solder to make a solid
electrical connection at the wire tip and ensure that no "wicking" is
occurring.  Flexibility is maintained and the conduction is generally better
over the life of the connector, especially when used on outdoor antenna
hardware.

Paul, W9AC