Re: [TenTec] How to adjust frequency display on OMNI V?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How to adjust frequency display on OMNI V?
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 07:14:24 -1000

> Have a friend who has an OMNI V like mine but his frequency display is  off.
> When mine reads say 28.300.00 his will read 28.300.30.
> I also checked on WWV and he is off at 10.000.00 by .30.
> When he transmits you can tell he is off by at least that much.
> As you all know the OMNI V manual has hardly any repair instructions.

I have an Omni VI, so to apply this to the Omni V assumes that it is
very similar to the Omni VI. I don't know this for sure, so beware.

In the Omni VI the "VFO" is a combination of a PLL synthesized VFO and a
crystal oscillator (one of several, selected for each band) both that
VFO and the crystal oscillators are supposed to be locked to the
reference oscillator. The BFO is NOT locked to the reference oscillator.
If the reference oscillator is properly adjusted, the frequency
calibration of the radio can still be wrong due to BFO not being just right.

There are a lot of rigs that have ALL of their oscillators locked to a
single reference oscillator, and with them a single adjustment will get
them right on for all bands and modes. They will often have more phase
noise than the Omni series radios too.

DE N6KB