[TenTec] CW Tuning with Omni 6 Plus

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Tuning with Omni 6 Plus
From: "Sam Bridges" <radiobridge@infoave.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 20:45:17 -0400
I think the Omni 6 plus has all one needs for CW tuning. "I am tone deaf" is a
complaint I hear. I can only say the proceedure for CW tuning is "zero beating"
not "zero toning." The complaint of tone deafness is a non-starter.
    When the "cw" button is pushed you get a sidetone. While holding down this
button you move your dial until your target's tone is "beating" against your
sidetone. When you move the dial enough so that your sidetone no longer "beats"
and the tones are "insync" they become "one". When two tones become "one" the
tone gets louder. This is "zero beat". Even having just "beating" is close
enough for govt work.
    You may consult the Omni 6 Plus manual page 3-3 to change the volume of
your sidetone or the frequency of the sidetone(this should confirm your tone
deafness). If you want to try out some "beating" exercise go to 30m and put
your dial on 10.000.00,then push the "cw" button. Move the dial a little and
you are bound to hear the "beating."!!
Good luck 73 de KJ4ZM Sam