Re: [TenTec] Jupiter - duty cycle for digital modes

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter - duty cycle for digital modes
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:20:04 -0600
On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 09:42 -0400, KB8LFA wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I purchased a Jupiter from Ten-Tec yesterday. It has not yet arrived but
> I already have a question, hi hi. I enjoy PSK31 and Hellschriber digital
> modes. Can the Jupiter run these modes at full power? In the past, I
> have always had to turn my radios down to 25-30 watts.
>
> Thanks and 73,
>
>    Jeremy - KB8LFA

Part of the reason for running low power with PSK31 is for improved
intermod performance. And the mode is effective at lower power according
to many reports.

Hellschriber has a duty cycle for a single tone much like CW so probably
could run at full power.

But running modes with a 2 KW PA where most users are running 25 watts
will make you an alligator and you will get many responses to your CQs
that will be far too weak to copy. Indeed you may have pile ups but too
weak to copy. Couple years ago at FD early morning on 75 meters I had to
give up calling strong signals because they were home stations running
PAs that attracted a flock of callers all too weak to be heard at the
home station. Alligators in quantity. Not communicating.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,