Re: [TenTec] Slightly OT: Astron question, correction

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Slightly OT: Astron question, correction
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:40:08 -0600
On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 00:22 -0400, Michael Tortorella wrote:
> Hi, last post I said the S0535W SCR was 400V, 55A....looks like the CORRECT
> numbers are 50V, 35A.  Same question, though...would a 100V 70A (for
> example) be OK?
> Thanks again
> Mike W2IY

The crowbar SCR needs only to have higher voltage rating than the power
supply output, but 50 volts is as low as they sell. Higher voltage
rating is no problem, just greater cost, but has no effect on the
operation. With in reason, higher current rating is no problem other
than the greater cost, but too much higher current rating may slow the
turn on time of the SCR or demand a greater gate current than the gate
circuit is designed to supply. The greater current SCR may be a physical
fit problem because it can be larger.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,