Re: [TenTec] [orion565] Good idea...

To: <orion565@yahoogroups.com>,"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [orion565] Good idea...
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 13:24:00 -0500
> I think K3 will make TT software designers sweat a lot and If
> they don't do something to improve the Orion soon,lots of
> users will jump to the new K3,by the specs and features,if
> its true what they say,it will beat the Orion.

> Throw the v2 spaghetti code into the dumpster
> where it belongs. With Elecraft's K3 on the horizon, time may be
> running out on Orion customers' patience.

In the main, that's ridiculous.  I did spend some time with the K3
yesterday.  Kept going back to look and touch and feel some more.  Hard to
tell in a hamfest environment how the receiver works, but it's pretty easy
to tell that my not too big and not too fat fingers would have a hard time
finding a friend in the K3.  I can tell you for sure, you don't want to use
the internal squeaker -- ahhhh, speaker.  I'd have the same problem with the
big overbloated Yaesu, too, for having too many and too small controls on a
grotesquely cluttered and unfriendly front panel -- those guys need to go on
a diet.

Some really ugly things have been happening with US radios -- and I limit it
to US radios, because for the most part, we don't know who wrote what for
the Yaesus or Icoms or Kenwoods.  But we can oft times put names to who
wrote what for the K's, the Flex's and the TT's.  It's now become fine, if
not downright fashionable, to berate or praise the individuals we hold
responsible for whatever feature we don't like (and around which we scream
"bug" since it doesn't suit our particular fancy) or whatever real bugs may
exist.  As though it is one person's fault, or some stupid manager's fault
for not hiring the "right" person.  If only "bob" could rewrite the whole
radio from scratch ... Because obviously "bob" knows what he's doing.  Right
!?  "Bob" may get hit by a truck.  THEN who will write the radio?  Will it
be "old marvin" from down the street fiddling with open source code?  Most
software development companies I'm aware of make sure it doesn't matter
whether "bob" lives or dies.  And radio companies have indeed become
software companies, with a not unexpected set of growing pains in the
process.

If you don't like a radio, you are free to get rid of it and buy something
else.  You also have to be willing to accept the fact that you're simply
trading one set of issues (as you see them) for a different set (as you will
undoubtedly see them).  And the next thing will be complaints about "jim"
and his verson of spaghetti code.

My crappola quotient has simply been exceeded ... (or maybe since the FCC
has been overturned I can actually say bullsh*t) :-)

NNNN  End of rant

Grant/NQ5T