[TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...

To: orion565@yahoogroups.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:10:37 -0700 (PDT)
My O II arrived at TenTec service and Paul called today about TenTec's
findings. He said that a hole was blown out of an IC on the logic board. They
replaced the logic board and the rig appears to be fine. They will place it in
the test rack over the weekend to see how it fares.

Assuming it checks out OK during the 48-72 h burn-in test, I'm faced with a
dilemma: the rig has a bit of sentimental value (it's the rig reviewed by the
ARRL from whom I bought it in their on-line auction), but there may be more,
hidden damage that will not be revealed for some time. Then again, there may
not be. I'd like to keep it going if I can, but I don't want to own the
equivalent of a white elephant or a "bench queen" (a radio that spends most of
its time on the repair bench).

I'm open to the collective wisdom. I have ARRL insurance plus whatever my
homeowners insurace will cover.  Am I being foolish to even consider keeping it?

Kim Elmore, N5OP