[TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] WIDER FILTER FOR WEAK CW DXING?
From: "Jeff Frank" <jafrank@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:19:24 -0400
I have an Omni 6 opt 1, which I like very much, but on weak cw signals, my
experience with the filters seems counter-intuitive. I almost always have
easier and clearer copy on weak cw signals when I use the 1.8 khz filter vs.
the .5 or .25 khz filters in my 6.3 mhz IF. I've got nothing in the N1
position. Is this the way it's suppposed to be? I always thought narrowing the
filter bandwidth is supposed to cut down on noise but it seems opposite. Has it
got something to do with receivers that are optimized for adjacent signal
rejection vs. signal to noise ratio? I think I read that somewhere. Can anyone
explain this to me? Thanks.

Jeff Frank
(KX2P)