Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lightning Strike Results...
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:47:58 -0700 (PDT)
TenTec has advised me that my O II did not survive the burn-in on the test
rack: it suffered multiple failures. Paul told me that they could fix the known
failures, but it would be very expensive and the radio would never be reliable.
TenTec is sending me a letter stating that the damage is too extensive to allow
economical repair and that they deem the radio non-repairable.  That's a
disappointment, but also a lesson. I will replace the radio with a new O II,
similarly equipped (full set of filters plus autotuner), save for the auto
tuner. I'd put  an LDG unit in there and LDG no longer makes the internal auto
tuner for the O II, so I'll have to go with the TenTec internal auto tuner. I
liked the additional features in the LDG unit, but I'm sure the TenTec auto
tuner will do just fine.

The ARRL insurance through the Marsh Affinity Group will reimburse me up to the
insured limit that I decalred when I paidn the policy for a new radio once
presented with a receipt, less the $50 deductible. This is better than my
homeowners insurance, which has a $500 deductible. Still, I was proud to own
the rig that had been featured in the QST review and disappoitned at its
demise.

In 36 years of radio, this is the first lightning-related damage I've suffered.
I sure hope it's the last. Problem is, 50+ kA with a rise time of less than 1
microsecond can do pretty wild stuff, even if it's only close-by.

Kim Elmore, N5OP