[TenTec] Question about INRAD mod to OMNI V

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Question about INRAD mod to OMNI V
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:26:20 -0400
I'm new to the Ten Tec fold after observing the receiver performance
of another ham's Omni VI at Field Day. I've purchased an Omni V and I
spent the evening with the covers off understanding what I have. It
raise a question, and I think I know the answer but would appreciate
conofirmation.

The V has an INRAD roofing filter modification, RF-2, which I gather
was intended primarily for the Omni VI. It appears to have been
installed correctly, accounting for the differences between the V and
the VI.

The DIP switches are configured to use the NAR1 position only (the
only one available on the V), and to run the added roofing filter
along with the first IF optional filter.

The roofing filter mounts on an accessory board from INRAD, and is
inserted in the RF chain between the front end board and the 9-MHz IF
board. It's a 2400 Hz filter. The 9-MHz IF board has an INRAD 2800 Hz
filter in the stock position, and the original stock 2400 Hz filter in
the optional position.

Do I understand correctly that the NAR button will engage the 2400
INRAD roofing filter, the 2800 INRAD replacement for the stock filter,
and the 2400 filter in the optional position, in series before going
to the second IF? And without the NAR button, it will only use the new
2800 Hz filter in the stock position?

The second IF has an INRAD replacement filter of 2800 Hz in the stock
position, a 2400 Hz filter in the "1800 Hz" optional filter position,
and two unidentified filters in the remaining two optional filter
positions. They are six-pole filters, and I'm assuming they are either
1800 and 500 or 500 and 250. Is there a way to identify these filters?
They have no markings at all. I'm sure I can tell by listening the
difference between an 1800 and a 500, but I have no experience with
the sound of a 250. Do I understand correctly that these filters are
selected one at a time based on the front panel buttons? That's what
I'm reading from the schematic.

The setup seems optimized for mountains of filtration for SSB use,
which is perfect for my intentions. And with the added 2400 Hz roofing
filter, in front of the first IF, it ought to reject nearby strong
signals about as good as anything out there. I've never read anything
in the archives about this INRAD modification, and I wonder what the
general opinion of it is.

The rig has the V.9 chip and all the associated modifications. Would
it worth it to upgrade to Carl's new chip which he announced this
year?

Thank you for your thoughts.

73, Rick, KR9D