Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Meter Needle Sticking

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V Meter Needle Sticking
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:34:58 -0600
On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 16:17 -0500, Reed wrote:
> Has anyone had a problem with the needle sticking at times?  I removed front
> cover & it will still do it.  A light tap on rig will release it.

If it sticks with the front cover off, its not static electricity from
the front cover. But wiping it with pure dishwashing detergent is a way
to kill that static.

> I checked for dust or anything else in the movement of needle & it looks
> clean.  Took air can & lightly blew some air inside of movement & this did
> not help.  Doesn't always stick at same place.

Probably has a bit of magnetic dust in the air gap and that's anchored
better than a bit of air will move out. You may have to use a strong
light and lots of magnification to find it, then slide in adhesive tape
to grab the steel sliver.

Be sure the needle isn't dragging on the scale or the edge of the scale.
Bend the pointer with a couple tooth picks and do that gently. Things
like fingers against meter parts usually means the destruction of the
meter.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,