Re: [TenTec] Technical Correspondence

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Technical Correspondence
From: ron <roncasa@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:20:20 -0400
On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 09:01 -0400, wo8l@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The idea of opening up software to any and all comers is a little scary.?

^It shouldn't be to you because open source has been around for years
and works.

> First, in today's digital communications world, if?a company doesn't own and
> control the software, then what do you own?? A box with a bunch of electronic
> parts in it, I'd say.

^That is incorrect. The kernal (program core) is intact so it remains
same, the functions can/could be modify to one's personal preference.

> Second, if you have open software, warranty and repair issues get very
> sticky.?

^  You own a very stable and useful package that is supported by the
open source community. If it's "free" how can there be a warranty??

> You'd almost need a policy that when somebody modifies the software on their
> own, the warranty is void.? In terms of out of warranty repairs, there would
> be cases when it would be too much trouble to return the product to optimum
> condition.

^see above

Third, and most important, people overestimate their knowledge and
ability with software and that leads to trouble very quickly.? I work as
a contractor in computer type jobs.? The world is full of people who
think they know what they're doing when they really don't, including
me.? I commonly ask the question "why in the world did you do THAT?"

^Perhaps it's the curiosity factor, it's called a "learning curve".
(and what's with the question marks?)

> Open software is nice in theory but it can lead to real problems.

again, that statement shows you need to research about it. It is not a
theory, it works, has been working for many years.

Ham radio applications work very well with open source.
There are good applications you can purchase too.
But there is more freedom with open source.

I wonder if TT will consider it?

Ron, wb1hga
"got Linux?"