Re: [TenTec] Oh? Centurion PS

To: RMcGraw@Blomand.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Oh? Centurion PS
From: Dan Atchison <n3nd@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:13:56 -0400
Bob:

Thanks for the information. My 2003 Centurion's manual has no statement
like the .jpg you provided, I assume, from your manual. I checked
before I sent my original email. Interesting that TenTec replaced your
friends transformer after 3 years, but didn't replace mine after 15
months. I believe your vintage Centurion did have a TenTec wound
transformer - as I believe they used to do all their windings in house
until their "winder" left or retired.

While I was not bashing the Centurion, I was ticked that TenTec never
came clean. Indeed, they never contacted me after receiving the
amplifier to tell me they wouldn't cover it and they never contacted me
that a tube was "bad," nor did they contact me when the amp was
finished (repaired). I didn't know they had even worked on it until I
received an invoice in the mail telling me the bill was $700 and to pay
before return shipment. No communication at all. Had I known that they
would not cover it under warranty (previous phone calls had led me to
believe they might), I would not have had it repaired since I already
knew what the problem was. Reading all the nice things about TenTec
service I would have thought there'd be some give and take, but to go
ahead and fix it without approval or further discussion seemed
arrogant. Yes, they had my email address (two to be exact) and my cell
phone number. I think you can understand how I might have been upset.

I have had two other failures in it in four years. One caused by a
critter getting into the amp and finding a nice spot between the lower
connection on the HV RF choke and ground. Obviously, this is not
TecTec's fault. The other was a cracked feedthrough insulator between
the HV power supply and the RF deck. Apparently when it was installed
it was torqued too much and cracked, eventually creating a carbon path
to ground. All it took was the 10 Ohm(?), 25 Watt resistor/fuse and of
course the insulated feedthrough. Both of those failures darn near gave
me a heart attack when they went!

All this being said, I like the Centurion (see my review on eHam). I
run mostly CW and mostly QSK with the amp, originally with an FT-1000D
and now an FT-2000. The QSK loop works great and I am told that no one
can tell the difference in keying between barefoot and amp other than
strength of signal. It is a keeper regardless of my experiences -
experiences that others may see.

73,
Dan -- N3ND