[TenTec] Amplifiers or system efficiency.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Amplifiers or system efficiency.
From: ARDUJENSKI@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 16:54:55 EDT
It appears to me with all the recent discussion regarding linear amplifiers
that the real question should not be HOW DO I INCREASE MY POWER but rather
HOW CAN I SET UP A MORE EFFICIENT ANTENNA?

The ham population  seems to be a graying group with the mean age  probably
50-60 and a greater majority moving into communities with restrictions  but
more importantly is increasing the power creates a greater problem in that  RFI
would be a big issue.

It has been proven time and time again that running QRP levels with an
effective antenna is a very viable way to go for the aging ham. I can see where
 an
amp to get you 100w is in order for the propagation levels we have these
days.

We have superb receivers these days so what we need to concentrate on  is a
way to get a higher percentage of power out and at the desired angle. I am
looking forward to reading more about overall performance enhancement of the
great Ten Tec rigs.

I have found personally that if I can't raise a station with my 50w Scout
even 100w will make little difference. Maybe the correct term is EFFECTIVE
RADIATED POWER?

Alan KB7MBI