[TenTec] Well at least the OMNI-C arrived there [g]

To: "jess gypin" <ontarget1911@gmail.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Well at least the OMNI-C arrived there [g]
From: "W.D. (Doc) Lindsey" <dock0evz@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 01:52:27 -0600
Jess:

Got your voice mail that the radio arrived there today, and wouldn't you
know it--the UPS store finally e-mailed the GroundTrac number to me late
this afternoon.  I don't know what to think about the radio not even
lighting up.  It definitely had always at least turned on, and the only
issue(s) I had with it acted like the PTO needed to be re-built.  And this
did not seem to make sense at all, since it had just gotten back from Ten
Tec, to the guy who had sold the rig to me.  Somewhere I have the factory
paperwork, etc.  He spent about $150.00+ on the rig, just a few weeks
before I got it from him.  Then I got it, and all of a sudden it began to
act up, and even when I switched to the external VFO as the "primary VFO,
it sounded approximately the same.

At that point I just ran out of energy and patience, I guess.  So I just
sorta worked around it in my shack, and pulled the Elecraft rigs closer to
me, etc.  And when I finally seemed to move permanently into the
wheelchair, I simply forgot almost completely about the OMNI altogether,
until you posted the notice about needed a donated rig.  And so I didn't
even consider hooking everything up and checking it out before just having
it boxed and shipped, etc.  WOW, talk about assumptions on my part.

So the question seems to be what should you do next.  I would think the
next step would be to call Tech Support at Ten Tec.  I have been an avid TT
user for many years, and have always been very happy with them.  They even
seem to build their gear so the end users can open them up and trouble
shoot them, etc.  So how does this sound?  I tried to leave you a voice
mail today, but believe that it may not have happened.  I got back home
during a fairly heavy thunderstorm, and was having some trouble keeping my
cell phone hooked up to you.  I believe some of one message may have gotten
through, but am not sure.  This would have been maybe 1845 or so my time, I
think.  You had called me, and I noticed your voice mail and called you
when I first got back into the house.

I simply cannot believe that too much could be wrong with the rig.  Or at
least I surely hope so.  OTOH now I wish I had taken an hour or so and
checked it out before shipping it out.  It just never occurred that it
would have gone on the fritz just sitting in the shack.  Nuts.  Anyway I
will be out tomorrow, going to one of my doctors in ABQ.  I should be back
early in the afternoon.  I will be leaving here NLT about 0915, and once I
get underway, the cell phone quits working because of the mountainous
terrain.  This will be the case for nearly 35 minutes until I get into the
clear in ABQ.  Then my phone will be turned off while I am with the doctor
herself, of course, beginning at 1100.  BTW, fingers crossed for another
good report.  Frankly, as I write these words at about 0140 am, the all too
familiar and unwelcome pain are here.  I am tempted to go grab the Jim Beam
black label.  But that stuff doesn't solve anything, and I am secretly
afraid I may have a drinking problem, maybe being an alcoholic.  So I
rarely touch the stuff--though admittedly I have a brand new fifth hidden
in a dresser in my dressing closet, just in case.  Isn't that stupid.
Holly likely knows, anyway.  Shows what a coward I am down deep.  Guess I
have that stuff just in case the pain were to get so bad I would need to
try to drown it in booze.  Hasn't ever gotten that bad thus far, but who
knows......?

Anyway, let's talk sometime tomorrow.  Jess, I am frankly at a total
standstill with this entire problem.  I guess I wouldn't have gotten
involved at all, had I known the rig had any sort of problem.  It is a
fabulous rig, and of course it even has the extra VFO, etc.  And I have
spent very nearly $65.00 just to ship it all to you.  Man oh man, now to
learn that it is not even working for you.  So I hope that Paul or whoever
at TT can simply talk you through above the chassis repairs.  I hope that
is all that will be needed.  Anyway, let's sure 'nuf communicate by phone
tomorrow.  Right now I am in too much pain and confusion to think clearly
much longer.  Sorry, guy.  But we're somehow in all this together [g].  And
of course there are scads of TT users who are QRPers.  And then there is
the TT reflector, which itself has tons of operators who are very likely to
be more than willing to pitch in to help us, as well.

73,
--Doc/K0EVZ

8/3/2007