[TenTec] Triton 544, a classic

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Triton 544, a classic
From: Joe Roberts <jroberts@io.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:56:05 -0400
After four years with no TT radio, and two years with no radios at all
due to being in a PhD program with no time or space to operate, I broke
down and bought an Omni V, a Paragon II, and a 544 (Triton digital).

Previously, I was a long time user of the Corsair II.

Best I can do at the moment is a half wave vertical on a kite pole on
the back patio, but have been playing with each of the radios enough to
get a good feel for their personalities...and Ten-Tec radios sure do
have personalities.

Leaving aside comments on the Omni V (needs mods for SSB use) and
Paragon II (which is a fabulous, smooth operating rig), I am really in
love with the Triton 544. What great audio! This is one of the most easy
listening radios I've heard and I have owned dozens of good tube rigs,
FT-102s, Collins, Kenwoods, blah blah blah. Line noise that makes the
Omni V painful to listen to is hardly there on the 544. It's like magic.

The 544 is almost perfect for what it is, except for the little quirk of
DISPLAY NOISE. Now, this phenomenon is well known and seems to be
accepted as part of the "whole package" of the 544. It is always loud
enough to be perceived even under signals and noise, chugging away like
a pulsating digital mode signal.

True...I have never encountered a case where the noise prevented copy of
a real signal. But it is kind of irksome and a wart on what is otherwise
an unbelievably good vintage receiver.

Once upon a time, I would have ripped into this thing with a scope,
shielded cable, and a pile of fresh caps and ferrites, but since I only
have a Swiss Army knife and a Fluke DMM at hand, I am reluctant to mess
with it. Also, I recognize that it is what it is and the noise is part
of that 70s digital identity in a way.

Nonetheless, I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for this normal
"problem" -- short of buying an analog Triton, which I might do anyway.
The construction and layout of the rig, which is very traditional and a
nostalgic joy to behold, exhibits no effort to control digital noise.

In my 35 year hamming career I have seen many Tritons in magazine ads
and on hamfest tables and never realized what they were. Now I know, and
I can't think of a better radio to drag out to the back patio with a
hand mic for some early evening relaxation.

I'm inclined to leave the 544 as is and enjoy it...but if anybody has
hints and kinks on getting rid of that infernal display trash, I'd love
to hear it.

Joe N5KAT