[TenTec] Titan 425 Transformer needed

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan 425 Transformer needed
From: "Dan Atchison" <N3ND@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:19:44 -0400
Bob:

The Centurion does NOT use a HV voltage doubler, at least not in the 422B.
I use a Peter Dahl in mine and had them wind a few extra secondary turns to
give me 2400VAC.

Dan -- N3ND

According to the Peter Dahl website,
http://www.pwdahl.com/dahlcatalog/hamtrans011404.html#T, they have two
transformers.  $350 each for the Titan.  One has a higher secondary HV
winding than the other.  They are 1270 VAC @ 1 amp CCS and 1800 VAC @ 1.2
amps CCS.  Both weigh 46 lbs. and the same price.

For the Centurion, $325 and the Dahl website lists the HV secondary as 2225
VAC @ 0.5 amps CCS.  Now, that raises a serious issue.  The Centurion uses a

voltage doubler in the HV circuit.  That configuration with the above
transformer would be very unsatisfactory as a direct replacement as the
rating of the filter caps and the tubes would be greatly exceeded.
Otherwise, voltage twice what it should be and current about 1/2 of what it
should be.  If the transformer data is correct then the rectifier circuit
should be changed to a FW bridge.

I'd get clarification from Peter Dahl as to the exact specs for these
transformers before I put one in my amp.

73
Bob, K4TAX