Re: [TenTec] FW: [orion565] Digest Number 853

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FW: [orion565] Digest Number 853
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:30:08 -0400
Reg Unsworth writes...

> ... 3 problems on a rig that costs the equivalent of $6,000 over
> here (not factoring in anything for differences in cost of living)
> leaves a sour taste.  I smile at the  jingoistic rice-box smashing
> that goes on on this reflector.  I had 4 different rice boxes over
> 30 years before getting the Orion.  The number of failures on this
> Orion now equals the number I had on the rice boxes over those 30
> years.  Maybe I've been lucky/unlucky.

A $20,000 Toyota Corolla is perhaps the most reliable car made, and I
doubt if any other car has a lower cost of ownership. Yet people still
routinely spend three times as much for a Jaguar, which has for
decades suffered from varying levels of poor reliability and high cost
of ownership. Yet Jag owners aren't trading in their XK's for
Corollas. And Jag still serves a happy group of customers when a
similarly priced Lexus LS is undoubtedly as rich in features and far
more reliable. Jag survives because it serves a customer devoted to
the Jaguar design sensibilities, and for their owners those
sensibilities are more important than cheap ownership.

The Orion, as a radio, does things no other radio does, and does so
with a unique style. That uniqueness will appeal to some folks who
have the wherewithal to own one (I don't). Their owners like their
design sensibilities, and put up with their quirks because of it.

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.              |
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd@iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757