Re: [TenTec] Orion II DOA

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II DOA
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:51:26 -0700
Well my Orion is NOT showing signs of capacitor failure.  However, since it
is one of the original run, it might be worth doing some preventative
maintenance.  So I have decided to "treat" my baby to some updated

For Orion owners in Canada thinking of replacing the Power Distribution
Board capacitors, several electronic suppliers in the far north order from

I have ordered, through my local electronic supplier, Newark part number
18C4716.  Like the capacitors mentioned below by Ron, these are low ESR and
105C rated caps (I chose the 35VDC variety).

The same part number is on the US site.

Delivery time to our local village (Victoria, BC) is anticipated to be less
than 10 days.  I too don't know if the size may be a limitation (the Newark
ones are slightly smaller in diameter - 10mm vs 13mm) but I'll keep the
reflector informed.

Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk

Subject:        [TenTec] Orion II DOA
From:   "Ron Castro"
Date:   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:23:47 -0700

For those of you who have been following the thread on my Orion II failure,
just heard back from the factory that the problem was traced to the large
filter capacitors on the power distribution board.  They didn't tell me over

the phone what the specific capacitors were, but there are three 470 uF
C6, C7 and C9 on the A9 board which were most likely the "usual suspects"
were rounded up.

I have heard that these caps run fairly hot under normal conditions, and if
of you replace them in the future, I would recommend looking for low ESR
that are rated for 105 C temperature operation.  Looking over the Mouser
catalog, stock number 140-ESRL50V470-RC, manufactured by Xicon looks like a
good candidate, although I don't know if they will physically fit in where
originals did.  For $1.35 each, it's probably not a bad gamble to try them!

         Ron N6IE

TenTec mailing list