Re: [TenTec] Final Amplifier Class

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Final Amplifier Class
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:06:35 -0700
In most all cases of "multi mode" amplifiers, Class AB2 is used.

Class A is nearly perfectly linear, but is never more than 50% efficient,
which is unacceptable at most moderate to high power levels.  It may be OK
at low (legal) CB power, but since there doesn't seem to be any demand for
intelligible audio or non-splattering signals on CB, it seems to be a
complete waste of a heat sink!  There doesn't seem to be much demand for
legal power, either, judging by the hand-painted sign I saw at a truck stop
recently that said "6- Pill Amps" with an arrow pointing to a nearby
shipping container.

Class C is quite efficient, but as you noted, not very linear.  Great for
CW, FM, and AM where there is a separate modulator circuit such as plate or
PWM.  SSB and amplified AM would be distorted and splatter would be
noticeable.

AB2 is "linear enough" for SSB and amplified AM and nearly as efficient as
Class C, making it the best choice overall.  Almost certainly what the
Orion's and just about every other 50-200 Watt transceiver uses.  All
high-power HF amps use that too.

Ham radio transceivers with Class A modes run at significantly reduced
output and become real 'room heaters'.  In fact one of them has had some
serious failure problems when run in Class A mode for any amount of time and
many went back to the factory with burned up finals.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com