Re: [TenTec] all mode ten tec (argonaut V?)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] all mode ten tec (argonaut V?)
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:34:16 -0500
Much of the art of rig selection is based upon the needs and perceptions
of the operator.  I have an Argonaut II which is the 5 watt version of
the Delta II.  I never knew it had an AGC problem until I found a web
article on how to fix it.  I never did the modification, and like the
rig very much.  After using it for years on HF, I put it to work as the
tunable IF for my VHF station.  It has worked superbly with both the Ten
Tec transverters and the Elecraft units.  The tuning is not as smooth as
my Omni V, but is more than adequate.  Using an amplified D104
microphone and the speech processor, I get excellent audio reports.  The
noise limiter works far better than the one in the Omni V, or any other
rig I have, and has a useful undocumented feature in that in the
presence of strong signals outside of the bandpass, it desenses the
radio a bit, which is a nice way to hear when there is a band opening.
Backing off the RF gain, minimizes this when operating.  The only flaw I
have found in the little radio is that the LCD display backlight wears
out.  I bought several spares when they were readily available so should
be set for the next 20 years or so.  Is the Delta II a high powered
contest radio?  I rather doubt it, but one would provide many years of
  fun in more normal use.  I have no experience with the Argonaut V.  I
did have a 526 6 and 2 meter multimode for a while, but it did not work
any better than my Argonaut II does, and has no way to adjust the QSK or
amplifier switching speeds.  This made it unusable with my old Mirage 6
meter amplifier, so I sold it.  A simple mod makes it possible to hard
key external transverters and amplifiers with the Argonaut II, and I
have installed it.  I do not miss DSP filters, ethernet ports, and the
like.  So, the old clunkers like the Argonaut II and Omni V suit me just
fine.  Ten Tec has made remarkably few lemons in its long history, and I
think you will find most of their products to be excellent and very
reliable.  You might like them so much as to get a complete set.

Steve WA9JML