Re: [TenTec] Hercules II power Supply Options?

To: "chip_brown@isp.com" <chip_brown@isp.com>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II power Supply Options?
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 20:27:54 -0700
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 20:33:51 -0400 (EDT), chip_brown@isp.com wrote:

>I use 2 50 AMP Astrons in parallel for the Amp with big wire. Omni 6+ has
>its own Astron.

That's my solution also. It's very easy to wire them to the Herc II, and it
works fine. You need the right Molex connector (easy to buy from Newark,
Allied, Digikey, etc. Two 50A supplies is pretty conservative -- the Herc II
rarely pulls more than 60A.

The other popular solution is one 30A power supply with a good regulator
that floats a big battery (30A is plenty based on duty cycle
considerations). I'm seriously thinking of converting to that method to save
on my electric bill (I'm in CA). The floated battery is the least expensive
way to do it (from the point of view of the electric bill).

73,

Jim Brown K9YC