Re: [TenTec] paragon II Pass band tuning

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] paragon II Pass band tuning
From: Joe Roberts <jroberts@io.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 01:33:12 -0400
This is correct...the PBT does NOT function with the 6.0 filter.

Man, that 6.0 filter provides some easy listening SSB when conditions
permit. I put in an INRAD 2.1 and that filter sounds great also. The
stock 2.4 is a little smoother and more muted than the INRADs and those
characteristics work in certain conditions. But tuning around with the
wide open 6.0 is a joy (almost sounds as good as a Triton).

I think the Paragon II is an awesome radio. I like mine more than I
anticipated, thinking the Omni V would better it. I picked it up as a
"backup" with gen coverage RX but it is way better than I hoped.

It turns out that the Paragon II is a totally smooth operating, great
sounding set out of the box and I had to add banks of of INRADs, AF/IF
mods, change the AGC constants, and install some fresh decoupling caps
to sort of get the Omni V almost where I want it.

Theoretically, the Paragon II is a compromise compared to the Omni rigs,
but I am sorta liking it more than the Omni V for band cruising and
casual operating. Nice to have AM RX also--sounds real nice on AM.

Enjoy the P II! I'm sure enjoying mine.

Joe N5KAT