Re: [TenTec] Argo V problem

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argo V problem
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:31:23 -0600
On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 20:04 -0500, Wayne Whitman wrote:
> Just returned from a vacation with my Argo V and it seems to have a
> small problem.
> Worked fine before I left but when I got home, the rx audio is strange.
> When you turn the audio up a little, nothing happens, then a little more
> and its at full volume.  Turning the audio gain up further produces no
> change.
> Anyone ever see this type of problem before?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
> 73,
> Wayne
> K4ELO
> k4elo@fastmail.fm

In an analogue radio that would be explained by a volume control with an
open in the resistive element. No audio until the gap is reached, then a
rapid jump to full audio because as soon as the wiper doesn't bridge the
break there's no shunt part of the control to load the series part for
low output voltage. If that's a digital radio function, it could be an
encoder problem, I guess.

73, Jerry, K0CQ