Re: [TenTec] (no subject)

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] (no subject)
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:32:52 -0500
One of the nice things and one that is quite different than many other
radios is the fact that Tentec uses current monitoring of the PA stage.
Thus low current values caused by higher than 50 ohm nominal loads do not
cause the power output to "fold back".    At the same time, a higher PA
current caused by a lower than 50 ohm nominal load will be controlled by
reduced driver power thus lower drive to the PA hence PA current is
controlled.  In any event, the available power to the PA remains as a
constant and again does not fold back.  In either case, the volts remain
constant from the power supply and the current is controlled to a max value
thus the power input remains the same regardless of load.

Yes, the input of the low pass filter and SWR at that point is one that we
don't see.  In some cases the PA transistor combined Z is something near 0.9
ohms.  Thus the low pass filter has a job transforming this very low Z of
0.9 ohms to 50 ohms nominal.  Its transfer characteristic will vary with
load and more specifically the reactive components of the load.

Now regarding SWR, I have encountered cases where a component in the low
pass filter has failed more specifically as a result of trying to operate a
75M antenna on 160M without any type of external matching network.  Those
voltage values can get nasty and can exceed the component ratings in the low
pass filter.

All in all, err on the side of caution and double check antennas and loads
at a reduced power level.  And most definitely I agree with Jerry on the
fuses and the brands.  All fuses are not created equal, regardless of the
printing on the case or package.  My solution is a good quality switching
power supply with both current limiting and over voltage protection.  For a
play on words, when all else fails, let it be the fuse that fails.

73
Bob, K4TAX