Re: [TenTec] Omni VI question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI question
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 07:11:08 -0600
On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 23:39 -0500, Steve Berg wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  I was concerned about the Omni VI since it does
> not have a transverter port like my Omni V.  I am looking for an IF rig
> with RIT which comes in handy during Aurora openings.  I prefer older
> rigs that do not require menus to operate.
>
> 73,
>
> Steve WA9JML

The Omni V and VI have one very annoying habit. They go to LSB for CW
and voice on VHF is universally USB, making it hard to do a mixed mode
contact or to switch modes and still have the received signal tuned in.
That's why I went with a Corsair II though I've never used it with a
transverter. Since then I've acquired an FT-857D that works CW on SSB
mode if desired and switches modes without changing the actual receive
frequency and works well on 6, 2, and 432 by itself. It does have menus
but also has a front panel RIT. And costs less than an Omni VI.

73, Jerry, K0CQ