Re: [TenTec] Triton IV and amp...

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Triton IV and amp...
From: "N4NT" <mike_n4nt@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:53:46 -0400
I used an SB220 for years with a Triton IV (until lightning struck the
antenna).  You need to know that the SB-220 changeover relay requires more
current than the Triton can switch without eventual damage.  A fellow named
Harbach made what he called an SK-220 Soft-key module.  I believe Harbach
quit and another fellow took over.

The website is http://www.harbachelectronics.com/ and specifically on this
page: http://www.harbachelectronics.com/reference/harpg3cart.htm

He also sells a SS-221 "soft-start" module.  The SB-220 does NOT need that
so don't waste your money.

When I used the combination Triton/Heathkit, I set the drop-out delay on the
rig's T/R relay to maximum so it would hold in as long as possible.  This
prevented more rapid cycling than was necessary.  I found that when the
amplifier relay was switched to the transmit condition, it attenuated the
received signal by perhaps 15 dB.  That was very, very pleasant to my ears
because when I was sending, the receiver became quieter and I like quieter.
There was always plenty of signal for me to operate QSK on CW.  It would
also work well on SSB I'm sure, but I don't operate SSB.

The insurance company bought a Centurion for me to replace the SB-220.
Although the Centurion is a great amplifier, I liked the SB-220 better.

73, Mike N4NT