[TenTec] Triton IV vs the Argonaut V

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton IV vs the Argonaut V
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:29:54 -0400
boys...

yesterday I had some extra time in the shack and decided to fire up
one of the old Triton IVs I have .

I also fired up the Argonaut V.

Now, using the same antenna.

The noise level on the Argonaut V was running between S-5 and S-9

On the trition, very little S-meter movement was seen and it was just
not that noisy

so I decided to test the receiver's sensitivity with the HP signal
generator. I injected the signal in place of the antennas

At 50uV I got S-9 on both rigs. At 1uV I could detect the signal. At .
5uV I could still hear the signal from the generator. Although the
triton had a harder time hearing at that level.

Applying the attn on the Argonaut V, reduces the noise level, but as
suspected reduces the signal strength  of in coming signals, too

So bottom line? Why is the Argonaut V so much noisier than the old
Triton?

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced