Re: [TenTec] Receive Audio Mod INRAD

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Receive Audio Mod INRAD
From: "Barry N1EU" <barry.n1eu@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:34:23 +0000
On 10/21/07, John Rippey <w3uls73@gmail.com> wrote:
> For reasons no doubt due to higher-quality parts used in Ten-Tec's
> production early on, my very early OMNI VI (opt. 3), purchased
> second-hand, has very good (dare I say excellent?)
> communications-quality SSB audio.  I can find no difference between the
> audio of this particular OMNI VI and that of a Mark V Field parked next
> to it.

Someone would buy the Inrad audio mod if they're interested in
improving the ssb receive audio bandwidth.  Nobody has ever argued
that the Omni 6 didn't have quite good communications quality receive
audio, and is surely equal to the FT-1000MP in this regard.  However,
for those looking for wider receive audio bandwidth, there's just no
comparison between the Omni6 (ARRL measured 1630hz bandwidth) and the
FT-1000MP (capable of ~ 3000hz bandwidth in EDSP mode with wide filter
engaged).

The Inrad audio mod and 2.8Khz filters can only improve the Omni6+ to
a small degree, because its receive audio is always routed through dsp
and notch filter ic's even when those functions are not engaged.  I
proved this point to myself by tapping the product detector audio
directly at U3-6 as an experiment and couldn't believe my ears.

73,
Barry N1EU