Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI & QRO HF2000

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VI & QRO HF2000
From: "Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:35:15 -0500
Dwight,

I used the combination for about 8 years.
I actually had both the HF-2000 and the HF-1000 (same as HF-2000, but with
just one 3-500z), and a pair of OMNI VI's.  Lovely amps and VERY FAST T/R
with their Jennings vacuum relays, but unfortunately no provision for
interfacing with Ten-Tec's TX EN/OUT.

I did not use the TX EN/OUT connections.
I simply used the normal "RELAY" connection.

You will have no problem with SSB.

For CW, it was sometimes touch and go, so when contesting, I used an
external home-brew box and an external keyer.  The dits and dahs triggered
the Amp's T/R relay 10ms before being forwarded to the Omni VI.  In
addition, I could add up to about 1 second of delay (delaying the drop out
time of the Amp's relay) if desired.  NEVER had any hot switching with that
arrangement.

I was very active in CW contesting and this combination played like a champ.

73
Rick, NJ0IP
P.S.  The external home-brew box, called the "QSK Platine" is was designed
by DL7AV and published in the German CQDL magazine back in (about) 1977.
I've been using it for 30 years now, with all kinds of combinations of amps
and transceivers.  Lovely device.