Re: [TenTec] SB220-Tubes and QSK

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SB220-Tubes and QSK
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:21:44 -1000
The logic seems sort of sound, except:

If an amplifier is designed to work with 3-500Z tubes, that is it has
the bias set to the proper voltage for clean linear and efficient
operation with 3-500Z, and it has a output network designed to match the
plate impedance of 3-500Z operating at the plate voltage and bias
voltage the amplifier provides to the tubes, how can a tube that is also
a 3-500Z operate differently and be more efficient than a 3-500Z?

Seems like it is not exactly a 3-500Z, but rather a variant of a 3-500Z,
and if it is dissipating less power than a 3-500Z, I would be suspicious
that it actually needs a slightly different bias voltage to operate
properly. If it is dissipating less power, I would suspect that it is
operating more on the Class C side with current flowing in a smaller
portion of the RF cycle. I would wonder about the linearity.

DE N6KB