[TenTec] Titan III

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Titan III
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 05:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
I have used the Titan III this past year...
  Also have some Henry's, including an Ultra...
  Used to have Dentrons / Heaths / etc.

  The Titan is a really nice QSK amp... It works fine in my hands... I usually
tune up at ~40 W input, which gives 1200-1300 watts out, all modes, but  CW
mostly...  The exhaust is barely warm to the hand at that power level... And is
capable of more than 1500 without even breathing hard...
  Slightly noisy being on the bench right in my face compared to the Henry
Ultra with the power deck in the next room - but not as noisy as 98% of other
table amps <'much' quieter than most>..
  It is a big desk top amp with a big transformer and weighs 85 finger pinching
pounds, so you don't move it around much...  If you think nothing of picking up
a 90# bag of portland cement with one hand while you unscrew something with the
other hand, this is the 'portable' amp for you...

  Look, the reality is that the big three USA amp manufacturers - Command / QRO
/ Ten Tec - all make amps that work as advertised... You can't go wrong with
any one of these... It really comes down to the little things - QSK or not /
color and looks /  size / what your buddys like....  The other intangible is
that the other amp makers are a one man show... An accident or illness can put
them out of business, whereas TT will be with us in the forseeable future...

  I like the smooth, designed for QSK from the start, operation of the Titan
III... So I am a happy camper... All of these amps with screen grid tubes are
different from GG triode amps and there is a small learning curve to operating
them, but they give you more gain which allows the transceiver to run cooler...
 At this point, the only thing that can get my Titan III away from me would be
a Titan IV...

  cheers

denny / k8do