Re: [TenTec] W2IHY Products and the Orion 2

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] W2IHY Products and the Orion 2
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 16:07:59 -0500
Doug:

The Heil headset/boom mike with a HC-5 typically sounds good with most of
today's modern radios.  Yes, the boom headset keeps the mike in the same
position related to the mouth and makes for typically better audio because
of consistent mike-to-mouth relationship.  I've seen operators using desk
mikes or mikes mounted on desk booms that tend to look around the room or
bob back and forth and thus their sound changes as they move.  And most
mikes have proximity effects which are  more pronounced as ones mouth gets
closer to the mike or further away.  This causes a change in sound.  There's
nothing better than good mike technique.  Hence, the boom mike arrangement
lends great lengths to aid in this regard.

As to the use of the Magnum Six, the Drake T4XB needed help in the audio
chain and thus some external processing was of benefit.

Regarding the HC-4 vs HC-5, they have different frequency response
characteristics.  To that extent most mike have different frequency response
characteristics as well as different patterns.  These two factors basically
lend to "different mikes sound different".  To that end, from my days as a
studio engineer, I've used 5 or 6 different mikes, not at the same time
either,  on one artist or one instrument to get the sound that I wanted.  I
didn't say I'd EQ the heck out of a mike to get the sound I wanted.  Start
with the mike as a tool first.  Typical EQ applications produce inband phase
shifts related to frequency.  This causes the phase relationship of inband
audio harmonics to be distorted thus may sound strange.  Hence, know as over
EQ'd.  All EQ's do it thus it is a know fact that we accept and deal with.

As to mikes and processors and EQ used for busting DX pile-ups, LOUD COUNTS.
Have you ever noticed how commercials on TV are always louder than the
program?  Although the peak level may be the same, the average level and
spectral content are quite different in commercials.  They are designed
{translation = processed} that way.  I've always said "it's easy to be loud,
it difficult to be good".

>From a very old, and now SK, recording engineer that I learned a lot from,
he always said "audio is just like cow dung, the more you stir it, the more
it stinks".

73
Bob, K4TAX