[TenTec] US Ham equippment producers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] US Ham equippment producers
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:41:46 +0000
I know we aren't doing an encyclopedia here, but I would add Flexradio to the
list.  In my opinion they represent the real paradigm shift in ham gear.  Mind
you - I am enjoying the heck out of my O2, but still - Flexradio is
advertising the same or better dynamic range specs with what looks to me like
like a direct conversion radio.  I talked to a guy with a 5000 on SSB
yesterday and he sounded outstanding.  Evidently, CW isn't quite up to specs,
but they (Flexradio) seem to be delivering software changes at a great rate.
I think they are as significant in the market as Elecraft.

Keith
AC9S

"SGC is just a small niche player in the market.

It also looks like Elecraft is set to emerge as another important U.S.
player, now that the K3 is shipping.  I would rank them much higher than SGC
in importance to our ham market (IMHO).

With the Orion II, Omni VII, Jupiter, K3, and K2, the US vendors now offer
an outstanding alternative to the JA players.  What's missing is a rig in
the IC-706 class.

The Argonaut V and K2(10w) cover the QRP class quite nicely.

As far as (tube) linears go, as posted by someone else earlier, there are
several outstanding US manufacturers.  Where we are hurting here is on
choice of solid state amps.

Bottom Line:  We have some pretty great choices right here at home.  I see
no reason not to fly the flag (except maybe for a mobile rig)."