Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 band data on RS-232

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 band data on RS-232
From: Fraser Robertson <g4bjm@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:47:10 +0000
I modified our club's Omni6+ to give standard 4 bit band data output.  I can
dig out the info if you need it.  73 Fraser G4BJM> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007
17:29:30 -0400> From: hjohnc@gmail.com> To: tentec@contesting.com> Subject: Re:
[TenTec] Omni 6 band data on RS-232> > Doug -> > There are RS232 commands that
return the frequency of VFO A and VFO B. > Usually these are interpreted by
software which translates the hex > numbers into something readable. The same
type of information is > available on the Icom compatible port. That way you
can use the RS232 > for computer logging and the Icom port to control your
switch.> > The commands are in the back of the manual.> > You will need to
program a chip to send the query command, to receive > the hex data, to
translate the hex data from frequency to band, and to > throw the band switch.
A daunting task.> > Some computer logging/rig control programs will do most of
the heavy > lifting if you can tolerate having the bandswitch work only when
the > logging program is working.> > Hope that helps.> > 73 de K1ESE> John> >
Doug wrote:> > I'm building a remote antenna switch (2006 Handbook, pg 19-37).
I'd> > like to pull band data from the RS-232 port for auto band> > switching.
The Omni 6 presents band data on pins 10 (160m), 15 (10/12m), 17> > (15/17m),
21 (20m), 24 (40/30m) as +10v on each of these pins on a> > DB-25. It was done
this way originally for auto band switching with> > I believe the Hercules
amplifier.> > > > The problem as you can see is the multiple bands on some of
the pins,> > which makes it really hard to automate the antenna selection
process> > when using separate antennas for each band> > .> > So here's the
question, is there another way to get this info out of> > either RS-232 or the
separate serial port connector that I can> > decode in the context of the
antenna switch in the handbook.> > I think there is a way as no logging
software I've run across has a> > problem decoding band, I'm just not enough of
a tech to be able to> > figure it out.> > > > > > > > 73, Doug W5GA> > > > > >