Re: [TenTec] Using a comptuer microphone with a Triton 4 (544)

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using a comptuer microphone with a Triton 4 (544)
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:40:03 -0600
I'm always amazed at the midunderstandings about the poor old D-104.  With
proper impedance matching, with an appropriate transformer or a suitable
preamp with the right load on the D-104 element, there's no reason it won't
play well on an SSB radio or an AM radio regardless of the specific radio's
mic input Z.

Elements can go bad (especially the one's you buy that have been sitting for
hours on the hood of a car in 105 deg bright sun summer heat at a hamfest),
the gain on a preamp can be turned up to overdrive the radio, or you can
hook the bare element into a nice low Z mic input on a modern radio.  If
those things happen, or you do those things, you get lousy audio.  Easy
enough to blame the D-104 for being a crummy mic, rather than admit one
simply doesn't know any better :-)

Grant/NQ5T