Re: [TenTec] rtty

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] rtty
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:24:10 -0600
For those that have radios with a line level input, being separate from the
microphone input, and those that have a line level output separate from the
radio speaker output, these are the easiest signals to use.  You should be
able to connect from the radio line output to the line input on the sound
card  and then connect the line output on the sound card to the line input
on the radio.  Cables and connectors of the correct size and gender is all
that I have found required to work RTTY, MMTY, PSK-31 modes with the Omni VI
Plus, the Paragon II and now the Omni VII.

I've not found it necessary to use any type of interface, no attenuators,
and no transformers.  Now should one wish to do true FSK, thus using DC
level shift,  then an interface is required.  As to managing the PTT
functions, I've found the Tentec VOX set to minimum hold time works just
fine.  Never had a complaint.

Now some may ask about ground loops.  As long as the radio and the computer
are on the same leg of the 230 V service, otherwise sharing the same neutral
and safety ground, there is no problem.  Now if you do not use the
residential safety ground, i.e. 3rd pin ground with the radio, and you are
using a separate ground for the radio then all bets are off.  That's your
science project.........good luck.

I find that most problems arise when ones tries to feed the output of the
computer sound card, line level or speaker level,  into the microphone input
of the radio.  Or feed the headphone or speaker output of the radio to the
microphone input of the sound card.  Banish the thought because you are
asking for problems.

It's not that complex.  Just connect it correct and enjoy the world of the
digital modes.

73
Bob, K4TAX