[TenTec] Hercules finals

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules finals
From: "Harry Coates" <wa8hc1@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 12:59:55 -0500
Nick,

In July 2006 I had to refuel my Hercules II..
It is true the schematic shows MRF 458's as finals, they are out of
manufacture.. Mine had SD 1405's in it., they are out of manufacture also.. I
believe TT used some others for short periods, MRF 456 comes to mind.. You
would have a tough time finding enough of these to do the job.. You should
replace all the finals with 8 matched units.. I know some people have replaced
1 or 2 and got away with it, not sure for how long.. The value of a Hercules II
is worth doing it right, it's not worth much without good finals..

With help from Joe at RF Parts I replaced all 8 units with matched TOSHIBA
2SC2879's, for $198.00 shipped.. The only differance was the idle currant was
set at 100ma instead of 500ma.. The Herc works great and old "AL" is smilling
on me again..

I believe the Hercules II came in with the Paragon and OMNI V.. I used mine
with a Corsair and the only thing differant was the auto band switching cable,
30m was on with 20m instead of on with 40m to make the Herc II operate the
proper filters..
I don't know for sure but I suspect the Hercules 444 had 30m/20m and the
Hercules II has 40m/30m..

I have a "Closet Kilowatt" and share the 240 Hercules II and 253 Auto AT with
all my TX/RX..

I hope you are only looking for info, and don't have to redo the finals in your
Herc..

I have no interest in RF Parts other than thier great service, nor do I have
any interest In TOSHIBA..

"TEN TEC FOREVER ES RTTY TOO"

'73 to all and a "Merry Christmas",

Harry