Re: [TenTec] Resolution of Omni V & Logic interfacing

To: Gary@doctorgary.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Resolution of Omni V & Logic interfacing
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 13:45:04 -0800
The drivers for the Prolific USB to serial chip set are built into
most OSes these day (Mac OS X, Linux, FreeBSD and Windows). So for a
NoName device check to see if it is Prolific based.

There are a couple of competing chipsets but for those you have to
reply on the maker for drivers. And usually they're only on Windows.

If you want to look for a reliable brand Keyspan are very good. And
seem to use Prolific (at least in the ones I have).

73 Kevin N7WIM

On Dec 6, 2007, at 8:20 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> I did the best I could and it simply failed to work. FInally I went
> to Best Buy, bought a different USB to DB9 converter and sonofagun it
> worked. The first connector was an eBay special and it is worthless.
> The one I got that worked is a Dynex (Probably much cheaper elsewhere
> as Best Buy is not know for low prices).
>
> So if you're looking to go from DB9 to USB and failing, your
> impassable barrier might well be the cable you buy. (And they do need
> drivers).

-...-
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell