Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 229 Tuner on 160M

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 229 Tuner on 160M
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:27:52 -0600
On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:33 -0800, Denton wrote:
> Until a bath/bedroom addition, I ran a 40 ft vertical dipole fed with 450
> ohm twin lead and a revamped johnson matchbox....it would even tune on 80
> meters...was a great antenna on 20 meters! Radiation pattern according to
> eznec was excellent from 40 (assuming a little loss) thru 10 meters.

Check the elevation pattern, it can tend to be rather high angle on 15
and ten meters with nothing much at the horizon. But it gets out anyway,
just not always as good for long DX as a shorter or trapped vertical
would be. But with sporadic E propagation on 15 and 10 meters, a high
angle of radiation can be a benefit.

73, Jerry, K0CQ